Organisation – GB Boxing (BABA)
Location – EIS Sheffield (includes UK and overseas travel)
Contract type – Permanent (Full time)
Key Relationships – Performance Director, Performance Programme Manager, Performance Pathway Manager, Coach Developer, Head of Performance Services (EIS Role), GB Boxing World Class Programme Coaches and Performance Coaches.
Salary – based on experience and expertise
Closing date for applications – Friday 2nd March 2018
GB Boxing believes that coaching will play a critical role to achieving the vision of becoming the leading Olympic boxing nation. It is also a central component of GB Boxing’s mission: To Maintain and enhance the world’s best performance system to enable each GB Boxer the very best opportunity to achieve his or her full potential.
GB Boxing are seeking to appoint a full time World Class Programme Coach to join the established world class coaching team and deliver ongoing success and performance for Tokyo 2020 and beyond. The role will have a focus on leading the Women’s Development Programme (WDP) which started in 2016. The coach will also be required to support the delivery of coaching alongside Podium and Podium Potential Coaches within their respective training environments plus competitions.
To ensure that coaching plays a key role to progress the World Class Programme at GB Boxing we highly value a person’s ability to build and maintain effective relationships and communication with other members of the team. The below information offers an insight into the type of coach, operator and person GB Boxing are looking for:
The Coach (Coaching – what you bring with you, experience, learning and expertise)
- Minimum coaching qualification Level 3 with Level 4 preferred.
- Minimum of AIBA 1 Star qualification with 2 / 3 Star preferred.
- Experience of developing talented boxers (female and male) at a fast rate and support the transition from potential to world class performance.
- Has the potential and mindset to develop and emerge to become a world leading coach.
- Ability to co-create an effective learning environment for boxers to learn and progress to the GB Podium Programme.
- Understanding the transition of boxers entering the World Class Programme (age 17 – 25) and their progression from WDP, Podium Potential and Podium.
- Have a clear understanding of the development needs of the boxer, athlete & person.
- Deliver effective coaching practice which supports and promotes the GB Boxing coaching philosophy.
- Insight and experience of international competition and managing national and overseas training camps.
- Experience of talent identification and coach observation selection.
- Skill set to provide effective performance briefs and be able to deliver clear and honest feedback on performance.
- Credibility, experience and insight as an international coach within boxing.
- Ability to build rapport, trust and focus with all the boxers within the programme.
The Coach (Operator – how you go about working as part of a team)
- Understanding of individual boxer development plans, principles and have experience of implementing, delivering and reviewing coaching programmes.
- Has the potential to become and remain a world class operator with highly developed leadership skills that can engage, support and lead others within the team.
- Part of a coaching team which plans, delivers, reviews development and performance.
- Ability to work within a coaching team and working in partnership with sport science and administration staff.
- Has the ability to problem solve and prioritise boxers need in collaboration with other coaches and sport science staff.
- Create, build and maintain effective relationships with external partners that will support GB Boxing (e.g. Home Nations, National Coaches, Clubs, and Education Sector).
- Able to be adaptable and make decisions as an individual and within a team.
- Computer literate with excellent presentation skills.
- Communicate effectively within a complex, high performance and pressure environment.
The Coach (Person – the authentic you and your purpose)
- A passion for developing people and a fundamental enthusiasm for coaching and boxing.
- High levels of self-awareness, emotional awareness and the ability to reflect.
- A values led person who is authentic and can adapt their approach to work in partnership with others plus has true integrity within a high pressure environment.
- Open to learning opportunities and the potential to become a world class coach with GB Boxing.
- Clear set of coaching values which forms and guides coaching practice which needs to include a fundamental understanding and respect of athlete welfare.
- Support a progressive, learning and open culture.
- Support a performance culture which is underpinned by clear values and beliefs that support and develop others.
- Up hold a professional and appropriate attitude and act as a role model for others to follow.
- The ability to be respectfully curious and has an inner drive to seek progressive ways to evolve coaching, boxer development and performance.
BABA is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and we expect all staff to share this commitment. All posts are subject to vetting checks including an Enhanced DBS check and references. Candidates who have worked or resided outside of the UK, in the last 5 years, will require an overseas police check. British Amateur Boxing Association welcome applications from all sections of the community, regardless of age, race, colour, sex, marital status, religion, ethnic origin, nationality, disability or sexual orientation. Any appointment will be made on merit alone.
If you think and believe you are able to meet the challenge of this coaching role please send your CV with a covering letter detailing why you feel you are suitable for the role by 5pm on the deadline to email@example.com
If you have not heard from GB Boxing within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Due to expected levels of interest GB Boxing maybe not be in a position to provide feedback if your application is unsuccessful.